June 17, 2007

Get ready for the Smackdown!

Every month, StinkyLulu hosts the Supporting Actress Smackdown, inviting a few movie bloggers to join him in revisiting a Supporting Actress Oscar race from years past and deciding who really should have won. This month, StinkyLulu and the gang are evaluating the 1978 race, and he's already posted commentary on Penelope Mitford, Maggie Smith, and Maureen Stapleton, with Dyan Cannon and Meryl Streep still to come before he assembles this month's Smackdown team for the group evaluation on the last Sunday of the month.

I am delighted to have been invited to join the Smackdowners in July, and StinkyLulu has just opened the voting to decide which year's Supporting Actresses we'll be discussing. Please drop by and cast your vote; the choices are 1943, 1952, 1970, 1979, 1988, and 1997. Oddly enough, four of those six years ('52 and '97 are the exceptions) have pairs of actresses nominated for the same film.

I'm torn between 1970 and 1979 myself; I have the horrible fear that either 1988 or 1997 is going to win, forcing me to sit through Dangerous Liaisons (shudder) or Titanic (double shudder) again. But even if that should happen, I'm looking forward to my first Smackdown with great anticipation.

2 comments:

StinkyLulu said...

I hadn't noticed the preponderance of two-fers.

And, yes, Titanic...Double Shudder. Hee. (I suspect 1997 will win, too.)

I don't include the nominee rosters from the last ten years to help to skew the smackdowns away from the contemporary. This year is 1997's first year of eligibility, so I'm just assuming it'll be appealing. (Though I've been pleased by 1979's early showing.)

I'm so glad you're joining the crew!!!

Keith said...

I think I'm starting to lean to 1979; there are some movies in there that I'd enjoy watching again, and I've never seen Starting Over.

(So everyone who's reading this? You should go to StinkyLulu's site and vote for 1979, OK? Thanks.)