January 01, 2007

BOOKS: Best of 2006

These were the ten best novels I read in '06 (if not actually published in '06, I've indicated publication dates). Links are to my original comments.

Tom DeHaven, It's Superman! (2005)
Michael Flynn, The Wreck of the River of Stars (2003)
Allegra Goodman, Intuition
Joanne Harris, Gentlemen and Players
Joe Keenan, My Lucky Star
Scott Lynch, The Lies of Locke Lamora
Susan Palwick, The Necessary Beggar (2005)
Nancy Pickard, The Virgin of Small Plains
Scott Smith, The Ruins
Katharine Weber, Triangle

If you made me pick just one? Close call, but Palwick gets the nod over Lynch.

I read less non-fiction than fiction, but these stood out for me this year:

Marilyn Johnson, The Dead Beat
Michael Segell, The Devil's Horn (2005)
Norah Vincent, Self-Made Man
Chris Willman, Rednecks and Bluenecks

1 comment:

Susan Palwick said...

Thank you very much! I'm glad you enjoyed my book!