January 01, 2006

BOOKS: Best of 2005

These were the ten best novels I read in '05 (though they were not necessarily published in '05). Links are to my original posts about each book:

Andreas Eschbach, The Carpet Makers
Minister Faust, The Coyote Kings of the Space-Age Bachelor Pad
Ken Grimwood, Replay
Kazuo Ishiguro, Never Let Me Go
David Maine, Fallen
David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas
Kermit Roosevelt, In the Shadow of the Law
John Scalzi, Old Man's War
Katharine Weber, The Little Women
Robert Charles Wilson, Spin

More science fiction on that list than I'd have expected.

I don't read as much nonfiction as fiction, so I'll limit myself to a top five:

Malcolm Gladwell, Blink
Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner, Freakonomics
David Rakoff, Don't Get Too Comfortable
Mary Roach, Stiff
Dan Savage, The Commitment

No comments: