February 22, 2006

TV: American Idol (men's semifinals, week 1)

My hunch is that there will be less consensus about tonight's performances than there was about the women last night.

If I had to make a prediction right now, I'd say that the winner this year will be a woman; there are only one or two men who I think have any chance at all.

Starting at the top, I'd say that Ace and Taylor certainly deserve spots in the final twelve; Gedeon and Elliot also made reasonably good impressions tonight, but I feel like I need to hear more from them.

Chris, Will, Patrick, and Bucky were all on the dull side tonight, but I can imagine them giving performances that I'd enjoy.

David made the worst song choice of the night -- if your shtick is "crooner," why the hell would you be singing Queen? -- but I hope he survives, because I want to hear what he sounds like with material that's better suited to him.

Bobby gave the strangest performance of the night, giving us "Copacabana" a la Jackie Gleason. Jose and Kevin were disasters, and are most deserving of elimination this week.

But none of these boundaries and divisions feel as solid to me as the divisions among the women do. The men seem overall less formed as singers, with more room for change and growth, and their two remaining semifinal rounds will probably be a lot more interesting than the women's.

No comments: