September 15, 2011

TV: Up All Night (NBC, Wed 8)

Christina Applegate and Will Arnett star as new parents Reagan and Chris. He's left his law firm to be a stay-at-home dad, and she's going back to work as a producer on a daytime talk show hosted by Ava (Maya Rudolph), who is not Oprah Winfrey with no hint at all of Ellen Degeneres.

Applegate and Rudolph are very funny, and I like their workplace scenes better than the domestic scenes. In part, that's because I'm not a fan of Arnett, who I've never liked in anything before. He's the weak link here, but at least he's playing a recognizable human being this time instead of one of those weird man-children he's been so fond of in the past, and I'm finding him merely a bit dull as opposed to the usual repulsive.

Very strong first episode, good enough to keep me watching for a while.

No comments: