September 05, 2010

MUSIC: 15 albums

The blogging meme du jour (which I picked up from Terry Teachout at About Last Night):
The rules: Don't take too long to think about it--choose fifteen albums you've heard that will always stick with you. List the first fifteen you can recall in no more than fifteen minutes. (These aren't favorite albums, necessarily, just the fifteen that will always stick with you.)
So, off the top of my head:

Laurie Anderson, Big Science
Christine Lavin, Beau Woes and Other Problems of Modern Life
various artists, Rhythm, Country, & Blues
various artists, Stay Awake
original cast, Company
George Michael, Faith
original cast, Das Barbecü
Barenaked Ladies, Gordon
Pink Martini, Sympathique
k.d. lang, Shadowland
The Mavericks, Trampoline
The Bobs, My, I'm Large
original concept album, Chess
Amazin' Blue (University of Michigan), Little Black Box
Jason Robert Brown, Wearing Someone Else's Clothes

Unless you are one of a very small handful of people, you have never heard (or heard of) Little Black Box, as it was a pre-CD cassette release sold to folks who attended our a cappella concerts at U-M some 20 years ago.  But I'm on it; it is the only place where my recorded singing voice can be heard -- my solo opens the damned tape, for god's sake -- and I'll always have fond memories of that year and my fellow singers.

No comments: