January 08, 2008

BOOKS: Best of 2007

These were the ten best novels I read in 2007; the two books posted earlier this week count as '07 because that's when I started them. If the books weren't published in '07, I've indicated the pub date; links are to my original comments.

Giles Blunt, By the Time You Read This (2006)
Jasper Fforde, First Among Sequels
Austin Grossman, Soon I Will Be Invincible
Matt Haig, The Dead Fathers Club
Steve Hockensmith, On the Wrong Track
Scott Lynch, Red Seas Under Red Skies
Howard Frank Mosher, On Kingdom Mountain
Susan Palwick, Shelter
Cornelia Read, A Field of Darkness (2006)
Jo Walton, Farthing (2006)

Palwick and Lynch were both on last year's top ten, as well, with Palwick narrowly edging out Lynch for my book of the year. This year, Lynch wins top honors, though Haig's ingenious reworking of Hamlet is a close second. I would be remiss not to also mention Palwick's fine collection of short stories, The Fate of Mice.

I don't read as much nonfiction, but these books stood out this year:

Rebecca Mead, One Perfect Day (which also had the best book jacket of the year)
Ethan Mordden, All That Glittered
Julie Phillips, James Tiptree, Jr.: The Double Life of Alice Sheldon (2006)
Alex Ross, The Rest Is Noise

No comments: