October 03, 2006

TV: The Game

There's one show every year that I just can't bring myself to sit through even the first episode of, and this year, it's The Game. The characters were barely one-dimensional, much less three; the writing wasn't funny; the acting was painful to watch. Tia Mowry, the show's star, is still pounding every punchline and pulling the exaggerated facial expressions that were her stock in trade as a child star on Sister, Sister; they aren't nearly so adorable now that she's grown up.

To be sure, I am about as far from this show's target demographic -- young African-Americans, principally women -- as you can get, and it may just be that it's full of cultural references and a style of humor that are beyond my experience. I hope that's the case, because the alternative is to wonder how on earth something this awful ever made it to air.

No comments: